Possibly the oldest building still standing in the village would be the pinfold at the top of Common Lane although to date it has not been possible to establish the date this was built.
There are 5 listed properties in the village:
- Garth House Circa 1700
- Walmsley House dating from 1816
- The Old Vicarage dating from 1834
- 22 Main Road
- Mile Stone, 200 meters west of Bar Lane
There are several older properties the details of which are still being research including 1 Chapel Street, Garth House Farm, Owlet Hall and Greystones.
Sadly, many of the older and more distinctive buildings in the village have been demolished and replaced by modern houses.
Some of the properties lost include:
- The two cottages which were by Garth Farm were demolished when they became unsafe. It is believed that Bob the Blacksmith lived in one of these.
- ‘Hectors House’
- The Blacksmiths Shop which was demolished in May 1950 and stood on what is now the village green
- The Wheatsheaf was demolished in 2016 and replaced with Wheatsheaf Court.
- Dr. Mary’s as it became known was replaced by The Willows.
- The cottages and gardens on St Mary’s approach have been replaced by Holly Garth.
- The Old School.
The style and standard of the homes in the village would have varied considerably from the large houses such as Hambleton House to the cottages lived in by farm workers.