The Old Vicarage was endowed in 1834 by Miss Theodosia Osbaldson Brooke of Gateforth Hall at a cost of £2,000. The Parsonage is a large house with an acre of garden and two acres of glebe land. The later was eventually sold. The property became the home for the Perpetual Curates of Gateforth namely Reverend William Green, Rev. R. D. Newenham, Rev. Dr. Iliffe, Rev. William Henry Cleveland and Rev. Francis Gumley who was appointed on 28th March, 1914 and became the Vicar of Hambleton a year later. The West Riding Registry of Deeds and Land Charges Registry of May 1956 show that the residents have also included Rev. Gumley until 13th January, 1937; Rev. Willis Ernest Smith until 13th June, 1946; Rev. William Spalding Wray until 22nd April, 1954 and James Gaskell Waring. On 17th November, 1966 the property was awarded Grade II listed status. The British Listed Building website describes the property as ‘ Gault brick, ashlar dressings and blue slate roof.2 storeys, 3 first floor windows with C20 range to left of 1 storey and 2 windows. Steps to central C20 glazed door under
patterned radial fanlight in doorcase of engaged Doric columns, frieze of triglyphs and metopes and open pediment. Sashes with glazing bars throughout under gauged brick flat arches with stone cills, those to ground floor with slatted shutters. First floor ashlar cill band. Ashlar eaves cornice. Hipped flat-topped roof and 4 central stacks.’ In 1956 Robert Brown of Red House, Chapel Street signed a declaration to confirm that to his knowledge of over 30 years the property had been occupied as the Parsonage House of the Benefice of Gateforth with Hambleton. The property became a private residence in the late 1950s. The Glebe land was sold in February 1958.