There is a plaque showing the date 1816 on the outside of Walmsley House but there is a building shown on this site on the Enclosure Award Map 1798. Walmsley House is a large 2 storey brick built house on the corner of Main Road and Gateforth Lane. The house was awarded a Grade II listing on 5th November, 1984. The house was linked with the Meal Mill, the business which became Chilvers & Palframan. The house is believed to be the first to have electricity in the village which was generated by an oil engine used to run the mill machinery. However, when the mill wasn’t working the house had to rely on oil lamps. The landlord of the Wheatsheaf, which was next door, contracted the mill to provide limited light, due to the level of output it would only power one light per room. The Mill had the first and for some time the only petrol pump in the village. The pump was by the back door and the filling pipe came through a hole in the garden wall.