The date the pinfold was built is not known but they were used from medieval times to hold stray animals. Cattle, sheep, pigs, or other domestic livestock would have been driven in and kept there until claimed by their owners. There was usually a fine to pay for looking after the animals and any food given prior to their release. The person in charge of the pinfold was known as a pinder, appointed by the Lord of the Manor and later by the parish. The pinder would keep the animals confined, feed and water them and was responsible for collecting the fines due. If any animals remained unclaimed they could be taken to a local market and sold. The pinfold is shown on a map dated 1850.