Once you start to research the history of Hambleton it becomes clear that the names of road have changed over the years. The first detailed list of road names in the village is contained in the Hambleton Enclosure Award 1798. There will no doubt be other changes as further research is undertaken. Chapel Street - In the Enclosure Award was named Mill Road. The Deeds for the Chapel School Room state that the door at the front opened onto the High Road running from Gateforth to Hambleton. Common Lane - On the 1798 map this was called Owlet Hall Road. Gateforth Lane - In 1798 this was called Brayton Road and in the 1881 and 1939 Censuses New Road. Main Road - Reference has been found to Hambleton Causey (Scott) which was suitable for horses or people walking. The road through the village was part of the Turnpike, Leeds to Selby and the Turnpike Act 1741 authorised the enlargement and repair of the road. It was called Main Road as early as the 1871 Census however in the 1881 Census it was listed as High Road. Station Road - The 1881 Census referred to Railway Street. For many years the Parish Council were invited to choose or comment on the proposed names of new roads within the village. For instance, those starting with Garth are no doubt so called because the estate is built on the area known as Bull Garth. Appletree Drive was probably so called because the site had been an orchard.