The house was called The Cottage and was originally built by Arthur & Kathleen Wells. The first reference to the property so far found was in 1951. Dr Mary McCandlish and Arthur married in 1959 following the death of his wife. The property became known as Dr Mary’s from then on. Following their deaths the property was sold and The Willows development was built.