Hambleton Charities

The Poor’s Land and Richardson’s Gift charities in Hambleton was registered on 17th February, 1888. The working name for this is now Hambleton United Charities. The first trustees were Rev. Thomas Cheese, vicar of Brayton, William Bew Todd, John Todd and Harris Anson (potato Merchant) being the only Trustee to live in the village. There are four Trustees, one of whom is always a member of the parish council. Harking back to the days when the mother church for Hambleton was Brayton the Poor’s Estate Charity, as it is now called, is administered by the Vicar of Brayton, distributes small sums of money annually to the trustees of each community, Hambleton included. Richardson’s Gift consists of three plots of land that were gifted for the benefit of the poor and are shown on the Hambleton Enclosure Award Map of 1797. Two of the parcels of land continue to be leased to farmers and the third is leased to Hambleton Parish Council and is the recreation ground on Old Lane. The money collected from both these charities is administered by the four Trustees. The money is distributed to the elderly in the form of a small Christmas gift and surplus monies are donated to village voluntary organisations. Many years ago, when the village was much smaller, pensioners used to receive vouchers which could be exchanged for coal from the village coal merchant two of whom were Mr Trees and Joe Lister. Hambleton (Selby) Parish Council Charitable was created on 1st April, 1993 following the sale on 31st March, 1991 of a cottage and land in Chapel Street which had been gifted to the Parish Council in 1940. Selby District Council bought the cottage and land to enable a housing association to build Chapel Court which consists of 8 bungalows. The Charity was registered on 7th June, 1993. The working name is Hambleton Charitable Trust. A third Trust was set up recently following the sale by the Trustees of the Old School, which had become the Church Hall, for residential development. The Hambleton Educational Trust provides support to the village school. The money collected from both these charities is administered by four Trustees, one of whom is a member of the Parish Council. The money is distributed to the elderly in the form of a small Christmas gift and surplus monies are donated to village voluntary organisations. Many years ago, when the village was much smaller, pensioners used to receive vouchers which could be exchanged for coal from the village coal merchant two of whom were Mr Trees and Joe Lister. Hambleton (Selby) Parish Council Charitable was created on 1st April, 1993 following the sale on 31st March, 1991 of a cottage and land in Chapel Street which had been gifted to the Parish Council in 1940. Selby District Council bought the cottage and land to enable a housing association to build Chapel Court which consists of 8 bungalows. The Charity was registered on 7th June, 1993. The working name is Hambleton Trust. A third Trust was formed by the Church following the sale of the Old School, the Hambleton Educational Trust which provides support to the Village School.

Hambleton Charities
Village Politics