Hambleton is lucky as it has both a Church and a Chapel.
In 1292 the Abbot of Selby expressed the view that it was a disadvantage to the villagers of Hamelton and Gayteford to have to travel so far to church as the local church was in Brayton. Permission was granted for a chantry dedicated to the blessed Virgin Mary in Hamelton. The Church Centenary document produced in1982 states that a chantry was built by 15th October, 1292 when the first priest was employed and there was a cottage with 5 acres attached but the actual site of this building is not yet known. The Oxford Bodleian Library has a manuscript dated 1536 which states ‘Chantry of our Lady at Hambleton, two miles and more from Brayton. John Richardson, incumbent founded by William Hamelton dated 1307 to say mass etc. The order for its suppression (closure) was 28th February, 1539 as part of Henry VIII’s Reformation which was opposed to such places.
Once the School was built in Hambleton in 1872 Church services were held there until St Mary’s Church was completed some 10 years later.
A Wesleyan Chapel is reported to have existed and been extended in Hambleton in 1816 and been the last building on the edge of the village on Chapel Street (just south of Garth Lane). The Wesleyan Sunday School was opened in 1876 and is still standing in 2017. The ‘Old Chapel’ was replaced by the Chapel, which is still in use today, which opened on Friday 13th July, 1900.